Friday 20 June 2014

Day 4

Today I have slept, a lot. My leg seems to cause me more pain at night which makes sleeping difficult. Also, I normally roll around to try and get comfortable, and sleep on my side a lot, which I can't do at the moment (I'll lying flat on my back- sort of sardine style).

I've had a few moments today where I've felt something inside my knee 'pull' a little- it's a very sharp pain and sometimes it feels like the knee gives way a little bit. I don't know if this is because the swelling in my leg has started to go down and now that the 'padding' is disappearing there is more room for the knee to wobble? It might also be because I've become slightly less cautious on my crutches.

I can feel the fluid starting to drain from my leg, which is an odd sensation. It feels like I have liquid running down my shin from my knee (as an open wound leaking blood might feel), but you can't see anything on the surface. When this started happening after my initial injury I would actually stop when I was walking so that I could pull up my trouser leg and check I wasn't bleeding everywhere.

My doctor's note keeps me off work for another week. I have to admit that I thought that this operation would mean I couldn't walk, but that I could just use the sitting time to practice my Portuguese and really get better at the language. As it turns out as well as being largely immobile I feel pretty rubbish a lot of the time and I also feel exhausted a lot even though I'm hardly doing anything so the time isn't really being used very productively.

I've made quite a lit of progress with my knee bend, which is good to see, but my knee still feels really tight and stiff (except for those occasional wobbles). I don't know if some of it is the plasters that I have covering the incisions pulling, but it feels like my skin might burst open if I bend my leg any further.


No comments:

Post a Comment