Tuesday 17 June 2014

Day 1

I still have very little feeling in my operated leg meaning that I'm still hopping on crutches rather than walking. I'm also still having problems with low blood pressure and dizzy, nauseous spells. To avoid any falls it means that I am getting up as little as possible.

My leg has been twitching an awful not, which combined with the limited feeling in the leg gives a strange zombie leg sensation. I am wondering if some of the lack of feeling is due to the elevation and compression bandage, because my left foot looks a tad more purple in comparison to my right.

Over night I slept with my leg slightly elevated and as straight as I could get it (swelling and bandages mean its about 160 degrees rather than 180. I've already got pretty good range of movement, but it's hard to tell what my limits are because of the numbness I have in my leg. I'm doing very small amounts of physio, gently trying to bend and straighten my leg. I've been told that it is essential that I do these exercises with my foot on the floor because having my foot off the floor can stretch the graft. The graft at this point is getting weaker and doesn't have a blood supply so I need to take this easy because my nightmare would be to damage the graft now and be left with a wobbly knee for the rest of my life.

Today I could have a shower, but had to keep my leg dry, which leg to some creative work with a plastic bag and a roll of duct tape. Despite my best efforts my leg under the bag did get a little damp and I had to let my plasters air dry before I put on my tube grip. I hope that my soluble stitches didn't get too wet and haven't dissolved ahead of time (it's meant to take 10-14 days).

Because the plasters aren't being removed yet I haven't had sight of my scar yet. I have the type of skin that scars really easily, and the scars take FOREVER to fade (as evidenced by my good leg showing marks from my trip to Font almost a year ago). I've already got some Bio Oil on standby to try and reduce the scarring, but I'll have to wait for the wound to close before I can start applying it. I haven't had the success with Bio Oil and scar fading that some people seem to have, but I figure I haven't really got anything to lose.



No comments:

Post a Comment