Monday 16 June 2014

Day 0

So today was the day.

 Pre surgery
 Post surgery

I had a 4 strand hamstring graft from my left left to replace my left knee ACL. My menisci couldn't be repaired (which I think is pretty common), so both menisci were trimmed and my bone has shaved to fit (I assume this is to reduce the bone on bone crunching, but to be honest when I saw the doctor post op I was still pretty out of it so these questions didn't get asked). Hopefully I'll find out some more at my 10 day follow up. My MCL has been left to sort itself out, and my PCL wasn't in bad nick so that has been left as is.

I've been told surgery went well, I'll take their word for it. I went into theatre and the last thing I remember was the surgeon telling me he was going to listen to jazz while he worked. I love jazz so I took it as a good sign.

The only hiccup was that post surgery my blood pressure plummeted to 75 over 50, meaning I was pretty dizzy for a long time post surgery and my physio (learning to use the crutches, and how to get up and down the stairs) had to be delayed.

My knee if still bandaged, and 12 hours post surgery my leg is still numb. The numbness means that I have no stability so I'm hopping on my good leg using crutches, but I hope to start walking using the crutches tomorrow. Hopping up and down the stairs is a little scary. I nearly fell during my practice. The possibility of damaging my graft is playing heavily on my mind, so I'm taking things slow and will be sleeping on the sofa tonight to avoid the stairs to my bedroom.

Tomorrow I start with basic physiotherapy- the aim for this week is full range of movement, work on strength will come after that.

I feel a little Rear Window, but I've got the world cup to keep me company and I haven't seen anything that looks like a murder out of the window yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment