Sunday 15 June 2014

An introduction of sorts


My name is Irene and I have an injured left knee.

In September whilst trying a slab  route during a bouldering session I slipped and fell, catching my foot in a jug belonging to a different route set on the same wall. This caused my knee to twist as I fell, leading to a pretty sickening crunching sound and an inability to put any weight on my left leg.
After the swelling (and there was A LOT of swelling) had gone down an MRI showed that I had completely ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament, strained the medial cruciate ligament and torn the meniscus. I don’t do things by halves.

Prior to my injury I was pretty active. I ran middle distance, did a lot of stretching, and a bit of swimming, but my main sport was climbing (specifically bouldering). I would describe myself and a super keen amateur- I really just want to do something I enjoy, but to push myself to do it as well as I can.

Since the injury I’ve been doing physio (a whole lot of squats) and waiting for surgery. I have regained full range of movement in my knee and can once again touch my toes, but I can’t do much in the way of really stretching my legs without ‘popping’ my knee out of place.
I also can’t crouch down onto my heels, and a butterfly stretch is ridiculously painful.
Despite the increasing strength I have in my leg muscles I have some clicking and catching as if something is stuck in the cogs and occasional wobbles in my knee. I also have a bruised feeling on the inside of my knee whenever I walk further than the shortest of distances.
In addition, I don’t have a huge amount of stability and I still am not able to do anything involving jumping and/ or twisting.

Tomorrow is the day I have surgery. I’m fairly apprehensive since I’ve not had surgery before and I’m not great with hospitals, needles, or any of that medical stuff (passing out having my blood taken as part of the pre-surgery assessment was probably not the best start).

I’m hoping to document my path back to being able to climb again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment