Tuesday 1 July 2014

Week 3

With all the dressing removed so begins 'scar watch' 2014...


To be honest I thought it was going to be much worse. The largest incision (where the graft was taken from the hamstring) is only an inch and a half or there abouts. I had visions of a 15cm line down the middle of my calf.

I still have residue from the dressing on my knee, but my knee and shin are still very tender so I can't do any scrubbing to remove it. I also can't rub any ointment into the skin as it feels like I'm pummeling a very purple bruise (sadly I know this from experience). This means that the attempts to reduce the scarring will have to wait for now. They should probably wait anyway because the largest incision isn't quite fully healed yet. The stitches are soluble and the surgeon remove the remnants at my last appointment, however I seem to still have a few bits poking out. I'm hoping that they will just dissolve on their own. If not I'll mention them when I'm back with the surgeon in a few weeks time.

I'm still icing my knee and keeping it elevated as much as possible because it is still quite swollen (though nowhere near as bad as the initial injury, and going down far quicker). I don't really have that swollen fluid/ leaking fluid feeling in my knee anymore, which is nice.

I still haven't received my referral to physiotherapy, however I'm not too bothered by this at the moment because I think I'm fairly limited until the swelling reduces properly anyway. I'm still using a crutch and moving with a pronounced limp. I don't know if the two are connected, but it rained quite heavily yesterday and my knee felt very stiff which made my limp even worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment